martes, marzo 31, 2009

John Peel


Apart from Captain Beefheart and Mark E. Smith from the Fall, who also played in Belgrade before the war started, do you make friends with musicians in general because of your position?
PEEL: Not really. I mean, Mark E. Smith. I've only met him a couple of times, so he's hardly a friend. When I do see him I never know what to say to him anyway, so we just punch each other on the shoulder in a manly way and go our separate ways. And Captain Beefheart phones me about once a year, about three weeks before my birthday in August and I'm always really frightened when he does 'cause I never know what to say to him. 'Cause you always think that what you're saying is so banal and stupid he must be thinking, "Why do I bother phoning this fella?" you know [laughs]. I'm a country boy, I live right out in the country, and we’re just very much involved in our children's lives and just live quietly in this little village. I've always been an old bloke too, you know, people in bands tend to be half my age or less, and they quite reasonably don't want to hang out with old men. And it’s the same for the producers of the program, I feel a bit sorry for them 'cause they have recently assigned two new people to the program, they're kinda twenty-eight and I am sixty-two and they're getting better now. At first you could tell they really were quite upset because they were working with an old man, you know, and I think they were wondering whether they were going to have to kind of clean me up as you do with old men, I don't know whether they thought I was incontinent or something, but they were rather embarrassed about working with an old fella. So, I don't have any showbiz friends at all really, I mean there are people that we know and like, David Gedge out of Cinerama and one or two other people, the people out of Melys in North Wales who we think of as friends really, but not very many.

No hay comentarios.: